ΒΥΖΑΝΤΙΝΕΣ ΕΙΚΟΝΕΣ -
This miraculous icon was painted on a much older board. The original icon is known from the chronicles to be destroyed in the conflagration of 1482: «The icon of Hodegitria burnt in Moscow in the stone Church of the Ascension of Our Lord, a miracle-working image of Our Lady of Greek painting. It was made in the same dimensions as the miraculous icon in Constantinople which did leave its abode for the seaside on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The fire destroyed the painting and the case alone, while the board survived, and on this board Dionysii the icon-painter recreated the same image». The ancient icon of the Kremlin convent, copied from the Constantinopolitan Hodegitria, is presumed to be one of the two icons brought to Russia in the 14th century by Archbishop Dionysii of Suzdal, a confessor to Princess Eudoxia, foundress of the Ascention convent. The icon was commemorated on July 7, the day of Princess Eudoxia's demise, which coincided with the feast of the Hodegitria of Blachernitissa, brought to Moscow in 1654. The icon of the Ascension Convent led religious processions on June 23 and August 26, in which Metropolitans, the Patriarch and the Grand Princes took part. The iconographic pattern of this particular image generally corresponds to the Hodegetria of Blachernai, though digressing from it in some details, for instance, the scroll which the Child holding, resting it on His knee - a detail characteristic of several copies of Our Lady of Smolensk, in particular, those of the Cathedral of Our Lady of Smolensk in the Novodevichi Convent, Moscow.
Byzantion Icons - Βυζαντινές Εικόνες | all rights reserved | developed and hosted by